Join the NMBA
Join the NMBA
Welcome to the National Marine Bankers Association
The National Marine Bankers Association (NMBA) was formed in 1979 by founding directors Bill Otto, Jackie Forese, and the late Don Mattocks. It was created, and continues today, to educate current and prospective lenders in marine financing procedures, promote the extension of credit to consumer and trade borrowers, maintain alliances with industry partners, measure and report on the vitality of the marine lending market, and actively maintain networking and communication benefits for its members.
Lender membership in the NMBA includes financial institutions such as commercial banks, private financing firms, savings and loan companies, credit unions and retail service companies. Members must extend or originate credit to consumers, retailers/dealers and manufacturers of recreational boats and equipment. Many NMBA members provide marine retail and floor plan loans to clients and some also extend commercial or capital financing for marine businesses.
Associate membership is open to other segments of the marine industry including marine documentation services, marine recovery agents, marine insurance agents and carriers, marine industry associations, marine surveyors, marine finance software and value publications, admiralty attorneys, marine finance industry consultants, and others.
The NMBA achieves benefits for its members through these five core value propositions of the association:
- Annual Conference The NMBA hosts a three day member conference where the latest trends issues relating to the marine industry are discussed in detail.
- Marine Lender’s Workshop: The annual workshop was designed educate current and prospective lenders in most aspects of marine financing including underwriting, collateral valuation, lien perfection, collections, remarketing and much more.
- Annual Report: Working through an independent research entity, the NMBA provides its members exclusive national marine retail and floor plan financing statistics and trends.
- Website: Provides a state of the art communications tool for all members. Find data, news, member listings, newsletters, and more on this site.
- Public Advocacy: The NMBA legislative committee keeps members informed about pending issues and bills that could impact the marine finance industry and takes a proactive role in protecting the interests of marine lenders.
NMBA VALUE PROPOSITION
The National Marine Bankers Association offers significant value to all marine lenders desiring to be better informed about legislation that could impact the marine finance industry, have the latest statistics on marine loan portfolio demographics and performance, and access to the most experienced professionals in the marine finance industry. The association is committed to public advocacy to support and protect marine lending, track national trends in marine lending through its quarterly surveys and annual member reports, provide education specific to marine lending through both its annual lenders’ workshop and annual conference, and distribute timely communication about its industry via the website, newsletter and member alerts. The NMBA's latest initiative, the Future Marine Industry Professionals program, will mentor industry members who wish to become involved in the association and help guide the marine lending community into the next decade and beyond.
The NMBA has a number of committees that manage the day-to-day operations and activities. The board of directors welcomes volunteers to assist with the various initiatives. Please review the list of Committees to see if you or others in your company can offer your time and expertise to improve the association. Most meetings are held by teleconference and communications maintained by email. Please contact committee chairpersons directly if interested.
Marine financing today is widely available throughout the United States due to the efforts of the NMBA. Marine lenders now offer a variety of loans and loan products including retail origination, loan portfolio servicing and commercial loan floor plans. The NMBA continues to play a strong role in supporting the marine industry, consumers and its members through education on the benefits of marine financing.
If you are interested in joining the NMBA and have questions, please call our office at 312-946-6260 or contact any of the current Officers and Directors. You can get a membership application through the appropriate link below.